Imperial Service Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Uniform (Canon and Working)

+4
Mara Jen is Big Red!
pcady
Mirgo Ruus
terri.hodges
8 posters

Go down

The Uniform (Canon and Working) Empty The Uniform (Canon and Working)

Post  terri.hodges 01/07/09, 04:58 pm

I've been asked to explain the "Canon" Uniform, it's inspiration and why and how it differs from our working uniform.

The Canon Uniform
The Canon Uniform refers to the outfit that appears in the official Lucasfilm Clone Wars webstrip on Star Wars dot com. (point of interest...you may see me refer to the ISO as both ISO and RSO. Officially they exist in the Clone Wars as the RSO and so, one could surmise that they will eventually, officially become the ISO)

The Uniform (Canon and Working) 3679920400_77669aabd3_o

My husband Tom and I have a great love for pin-up art, an even greater love for the look that the DSG had already put together and a hope to tie that in with women who had served as WACs, WAVs and even Vietnam era Donut Dollies. Most importantly, it had to be approved by the LFL powers that be, so it had to be "Star Wars" enough. When Tom decided and got approval to place the girls in the strip he asked me to help him design the official or canon look. We often refer to this look as the Dress uniform.

Changing colors was discussed amongst the command staff members and ultimately the original sand color was decided best. While it can't be seen in the Clone Wars strip in the pic I posted above, the neckline is squared in effort to show some skin, be flattering to those with more or less to offer, but not put the "girls" out on display (Kids watch this stuff, natch!) the squared neckline is also typical of a WWII era look.

Women who served during WWII had a very tailored style and a fitted jacket was generally part of the look. We decided to forgo the jacket but keep the fitted and tailored shirt that the DSG had worn at the first appearance with a slight alteration to the collar for aesthetics. This was also a good way to tie into the look that LFL had given us with Imperial Officers. The closures on the shirt are hidden. The skirt is shorter than your typical WAC because we wanted a sexier more Pin-up look. The hat is also directly inspired by the Imperial Officers uniform and should be worn in a way that flatters the hairstyle of the wearer so it's size is a little smaller.

The Uniform (Canon and Working) 3679976908_58228b54c9

The "Working" Uniform

The intent of this outfit is for trooping and is directly inspired by the original DSG outfits that were put together for the 501st dinner at CIV.
-The standard shirt is a Dickies style work shirt that has been tailored to be fitted for your body (yes, you will have some sewing to do once your new shirt arrives!) You may also need to shorten it slightly. I have personally added small slits to the sides because I like the way it lays on my hips better.
-We have allowed for tall boots (think riding not Docs) for parades or events that require long walks. Also acceptable for convention floors!
-40's style heels for dinners and more formal events.
-Fishnets (tip: fishnets with hose worn underneath is far more comfortable in heels) or Cuban style lined stockings
-Short (of a reasonable length, remember there is no reason to show off the goods) black skirts with small side slits.
-your area patch sewn on the front to represent and identify (currently we are using 501st patches but I expect that we will eventually have our own)

I hope this helps answer any questions, please let me know if I left anything out!
terri.hodges
terri.hodges
Officer
Officer

http://www.twitter.com/vmperella

Back to top Go down

The Uniform (Canon and Working) Empty Parade Uniform

Post  Mirgo Ruus 01/07/09, 11:52 pm

We also have a wrangling outfit for event whan it would not be apropriate to wear short skirts. For events like parades, hospital visits and toy drive our uniform is:

ISO Dickies style shirt (color: sand)
-we are working on am official ISO polo or tank top but it is not available yet.
-if cold weather long sleeve turtleneck can be worn under shirt (color: black)
Mid-thigh lengthed shorts (color: black)
Mid-calf to knee lentgh boots (color: black)
Mirgo Ruus
Mirgo Ruus
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

The Uniform (Canon and Working) Empty Re: The Uniform (Canon and Working)

Post  pcady 02/07/09, 11:20 am

I've also seen gloves in a few of the illustrations...part of the formal uniform?
pcady
pcady

Back to top Go down

Post  Mara Jen is Big Red! 02/07/09, 04:29 pm

Gloves are optional. Tremendously cute and fun, though.

I like them.

The Uniform (Canon and Working) Bigjen15fullsize
Mara Jen is Big Red!
Mara Jen is Big Red!
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  LilGoldie3106 07/07/09, 12:41 pm

Also I notice in the description under working for tall boots it says think riding and not docs and we were told Docs are ok.

And for patches I have seen people wear their Garrison's patches and not 501.
So that rises a question, with ISO starting to spread to other parts of the world and such, should we have our Garrisons patch so that the girls can represent their Garrison or should we all be uniformed and wear a 501st patch?

Last edited by LilGoldie3106 on 07/07/09, 04:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
LilGoldie3106
LilGoldie3106

Back to top Go down

Post  Ladyhawk 07/07/09, 01:32 pm

It is my understanding that the powers that be are working on an "ISO" patch for the Right Sleeve.

I would refer to Jen/Terri for anything like that.
Ladyhawk
Ladyhawk

Back to top Go down

Post  Mara Jen is Big Red! 07/07/09, 03:54 pm

LilGoldie3106 wrote:Also I notice in the description under working for tall boots it says think riding and not docs and we were told Docs are ok.

And for patches I have seen people wear their Garrison's patches and not 501.

Yes, the standard is that you wear the patch of the garrison for which you're geographically local.

And we're using riding boots as an indicator of height for reference. If you have boots for the Tactical Uniform that are knee high (in Docs, that means 20-eye) then those are fine. We just want some uniformity on height, so the most common version of the Doc (lower calf height) won't work.

So that rises a question, with ISO starting to spread to other parts of the world and such, should we have our Garrisons patch so that the girls can represent their Garrison or should we all be uniformed and wear have a 501st patch?

We have an ISO patch in the works. Our Source For All Things Artistic has been a touch busy with Convention season and moving and various other items of note, so it's still in the working stages. Like on the drawing of the redhead on the banner at the top of the page, though, we will have a patch that unites all ISO girls under the same logo, for the right shoulder.

If girls are having trouble with the local Garrison patch, they should contact me. I have an "in" with some of the COs . . . Wink I may ultimately propose that the 501st Legion patch be made acceptable as a fallback in cases of whatever issues cropping up . . . but we have options.
Mara Jen is Big Red!
Mara Jen is Big Red!
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  pcady 07/07/09, 04:13 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for all the clarifications and problem solving. Smile It is appreciated!
pcady
pcady

Back to top Go down

Post  terri.hodges 07/07/09, 07:20 pm

Mara Jen is Big Red! wrote:
If girls are having trouble with the local Garrison patch, they should contact me. I have an "in" with some of the COs . . . Wink .

I have my ways of getting patches too (and may have a few in my bag of tricks) Lemme know what you're looking for
terri.hodges
terri.hodges
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

The Uniform (Canon and Working) Empty patches

Post  LadyRoy 08/07/09, 09:07 am

I could use some pointing in the right direction on obtaining a patch please.
Thanks!
LadyRoy
LadyRoy

Back to top Go down

Post  terri.hodges 08/07/09, 09:22 am

LadyRoy wrote:I could use some pointing in the right direction on obtaining a patch please.
Thanks!

Where are you located?
terri.hodges
terri.hodges
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  LadyRoy 08/07/09, 09:27 am

I'm in Minnesota.
LadyRoy
LadyRoy

Back to top Go down

Post  terri.hodges 08/07/09, 09:51 am

I've sent an email to the Central Garrison Command Staff to see if we can't get you something. I'll let you know as soon as I a response.
terri.hodges
terri.hodges
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Mara Jen is Big Red! 10/07/09, 01:01 am

Yeah, don't know if you saw in the other thread, but CAndyman is arguably our biggest fan and also, happily, is the Central Garrison CO. That's one garrison we won't have to worry about.

Actually, with Terri's diplomacy and skills, I don't think we'll have to worry about any of them overmuch.
Mara Jen is Big Red!
Mara Jen is Big Red!
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  Rogue_Shadow 10/07/09, 05:54 pm

Is a general 501st patch just as acceptable instead of a Garrison one? We are having a bit of drama with a new Garrison breaking away and I would prefer to stay neutral rather than take sides as some of them can get a bit nasty.

Thanks
Rogue_Shadow
Rogue_Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post  terri.hodges 10/07/09, 06:07 pm

Drama! amongst the troops! Say it isn't so!

The patch is intended to give the girls a connection to their local troopers until we come up with our own patches.
That being said...personally, as an HM, and because I have a special closeness to several Garrisons, I have avoided using a garrison patch and used my Quilt Project patch instead.

I think something is better than nothing, so I think we'll take what you have to offer and be grateful for the kindness!
terri.hodges
terri.hodges
Officer
Officer

Back to top Go down

Post  Rogue_Shadow 11/07/09, 03:39 am

You know how it is, one group doesn't think the other wants them to leave and the other group really doesn't want them to but will let them... There was one or two troopers really annoying quite a lot of people in both groups so lots of fun Rolling Eyes

Either way, I'm staying out of it all and doing this instead. Got my Fishnets on the way, hunting down shoes and shirt, and I'll go from there. Thanks.
Rogue_Shadow
Rogue_Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirgo Ruus 11/07/09, 06:44 am

Without chopping Red off at the knees, I'd say yes. We are a neutral organization which supports all our troupers. If you think it is appropriate to wear the legion patch until things smooth over then just explain why when you email you membership picture and I don't anticipate you will have a problem.

We are the peace keepers Smile (no farscape pun intended!)
Mirgo Ruus
Mirgo Ruus
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down