Imperial Service Organization
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pin up hair help

+3
LeiaHan
khiliah
Mirgo Ruus
7 posters

Go down

Pin up hair help Empty Pin up hair help

Post  Mirgo Ruus 30/06/09, 03:10 pm

Hi Ladies,

If you love pin up girls then the first thing you are probably wondering is... How do they do that hair?!?!? Well, this has been a learing process for us here in the DSG Chapter. I have found the most important step is to set the hair before you try to style it. You can either "heat set" or "wet set". And there is absolutly no way to get around it you will need to use product in your hair.

I have found you will need a few supplies to start:
Bobby pins
Hair pins
Soft brisle brush (like a baby brush)
3/4 inch perm rollers (wet set)
Heated rag rollers (heat set)
Ultra hold hair spray
Wet set lotion
Foam curl lotion (I like Motions)

Wet Set
1. Spray the section of hair with the setting lotion until it is evenly damp but not saturated.
2. Wrap the hair around the ¾ inch perm rod without twisting the hair.
a. (You can use perm papers to keep the tips smooth if you have trouble wrapping the hair.)
3. Fasten the curler with about an inch from the scalp.
4. Use a hair pin to fasten the curler tighter to the scalp. (This keeps the rubber fastener from leaving an imprint on the hair as it dries.)
5. Here you can either
a. try to sleep with hard perm rollers on your head
b. wrap a handkerchief or scarf around the curlers, don a pair of fantastically stylish sunglasses
c. use a chair drier to speed up the whole process
6. As you carefully take out the curler, test to see it the hair is completely dry (if it isn’t dry, wrap it into a curl, pin with a bobby pin and gently blow dry.

Heat Set
1. Use one pump of Motions Foaming Wrap Lotion on the bottom ¾ of the section of hair until it is evenly tacky but not damp or saturated.
2. Wrap the hair around the rag roller without twisting the hair.
3. Fasten the roller by bending the wire ends.
4. Here you can either
a. try to sleep with rag rollers on your head
b. wrap a handkerchief or scarf around the curlers, don a pair of fantastically stylish sunglasses
5. As you carefully take out the curler, test to see it the hair is completely dry (if it isn’t dry, wrap it into a curl, pin with a bobby pin and gently blow dry

Curling Patterns
1. For victory rolls
a. Part your hair closer to the middle
b. If short bangs roll horizontally down, if long bangs or no bangs roll horizontally up
c. Roll side vertically away from your face.
d. Roll the remainder of your hair horizontally down around your hairline.
2. For Veronica Lake waves (must have long bangs)
a. Part hair to one side
b. Roll bangs horizontally, up
c. Roll side with part vertically towards your face
d. Roll side away from part horizontally down
e. Roll the remainder of your hair horizontally down around your hairline.

Styling tips
1. Once all the curls are completely dry finger comb them. The less you can do to the curls the better.
2. Use the soft brush to smooth the curls into the style of your choice. The soft brush is very important. It will feel weird to you because it doesn’t penetrate all the way through your hair. What it does is smooth the curls without brushing them out.
3. You can use finger wave clips to shape the curls or bobby pins to create victory rolls. Add flowers, bows or cherries to complete you pin up look
4. Hair spray your set liberally.

More to come... plus video Very Happy

Last edited by Mirgo Ruus on 01/07/09, 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Mirgo Ruus
Mirgo Ruus
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Pin up hair help Empty Re: Pin up hair help

Post  khiliah 30/06/09, 03:29 pm

Woot!
khiliah
khiliah

http://lifewithgeek.com

Back to top Go down

Pin up hair help Empty Vintage Hairstyling Book

Post  LeiaHan 01/07/09, 02:31 pm

I saw that there is a second edition of this book coming out this month!!!

http://www.vintagehairstyling.com/index.html
LeiaHan
LeiaHan

http://www.greatwhitepaw.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SyllyOne 01/07/09, 02:35 pm

This is a great help already. Time to practice Practice Practice!
I've not done it in a long time so I"m a bit rusty.
SyllyOne
SyllyOne

Back to top Go down

Pin up hair help Empty What a fantastic book!

Post  Mirgo Ruus 01/07/09, 09:28 pm

LeiaHan,

I just checked out the link you posted and it looks like a fantastic book! The pin curl patters look perfect. I wish I had had such a great resource when I was learning to set hair I love you
Mirgo Ruus
Mirgo Ruus
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightsister 02/07/09, 03:52 am

Yes, I have/use that book and would heartily recommend it. It has certainly been invaluable to me.

I would also recommend heated rollers on dry hair with strong setting lotion. The set will likely then be ready in the time it takes to put your makeup on (well, if you are slow like me it will). For everyday, I often use heated rag rollers which are really easy and you don't need to fiddle around with pins and clips. I have had my hair set for photo shoots using curling tongs, but more often than not the hair and makeup person uses heated rollers. Even quicker though is a hot air dryer brush - the one where you can curl your hair around the brush and then blow dry through it to set (sorry not sure what these are called). With fine hair like mine it only takes a few minutes. Whatever you do though, use lots and lots of hairspray.

I posted a link to this site on the yahoo group, so apologies but I thought perhaps it would be useful here too: http://pinup-parade.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=10
It has some clear pics on doing victory rolls.

Can you tell I am high-maintenance! Rolling Eyes
Nightsister
Nightsister

Back to top Go down

Post  mercsailor 02/07/09, 08:29 am

Nightsister wrote:I would also recommend heated rollers on dry hair with strong setting lotion. The set will likely then be ready in the time it takes to put your makeup on

I was definitely going to recommend Hot Rollers as well. I'm a hair dresser who occasionally does work with the local Civic Theater, and for styles like this I definitely would use hot rollers, and a good mousse/gel combination. I'm going to see if I can do victory rolls on myself now =)
mercsailor
mercsailor

Back to top Go down

Pin up hair help Empty I am in love with Victory Rolls

Post  mercsailor 02/07/09, 05:59 pm

Okay.. so having played with my hair, putting it in Victory Rolls, I am officially in love with this look. And it was WAY easier to execute than I thought it would be. My only question for you all is what do the majority of you do with the rest of your hair? Do you let it stay curled, or wavy.. do you roll the rest of it under or up?
mercsailor
mercsailor

Back to top Go down

Post  Nightsister 03/07/09, 01:44 am

mercsailor wrote:Okay.. so having played with my hair, putting it in Victory Rolls, I am officially in love with this look. And it was WAY easier to execute than I thought it would be. My only question for you all is what do the majority of you do with the rest of your hair? Do you let it stay curled, or wavy.. do you roll the rest of it under or up?

Hey, great to hear! Yes, it's not a hard style to work once you know how.
You can vary the back, but whatever you do it should be curled or set in waves. For authenticity it is fine to leave it loose but you can also do a roll at the back. There are instruction videos on Youtube. If I attempt this, and I don't very often since I have such fine hair, I would recommend a 'hair rat'. These are foam rolls or other padded roll (I made my own out of a hairnet and a ponytail hairpiece - you roll your hair around it before pinning to give the style bulk. The other really useful and easy alternative is a snood - see here http://www.thesnoodlady.com/. The snoods on this link are about as authentic as you can get and where a lot of folk in the UK who are into retro style or reenactment go - but ebay is a good source too for those in the US. I couldn't do without my snoods (I have several!).
Nightsister
Nightsister

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirgo Ruus 03/07/09, 10:20 am

I like leaving the hair in the back smooth over the head with the curl staring at the nap of you neck and lower. You get this by rolling under and pining curlers along your hair line (no higher). But you can do just about anything your want!! Rolls, french twist, or leave it down. I agree it should be curly but some women have thick enough hair they can leave it straight.
Mirgo Ruus
Mirgo Ruus
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post  Katsu Ma'Roy 05/07/09, 05:42 pm

I love that book! It really helped me at Star Fest!
Katsu Ma'Roy
Katsu Ma'Roy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum